Tuesday, August 25, 2015

DON’T SELL

If I was still in the markets I wouldn’t sell now.  I think the S&P 500 is close to a bottom.  Unless the prior low of October (1862) fails, I don’t think the market goes too much lower than Tuesday’s close.  Even though my “system” says sell, I don’t think that’s a great idea with long-term money.  It doesn’t seem like a total bear market is here, yet.   
 
One can certainly trade the bounce and up and down moves that may be ahead.  I will buy XIV (the inverse VIX ETN) if VIX spikes above 40.  I wanted to do it yesterday, but I didn’t get home early enough to make it happen.  Unlike VXX (ST Futures ETN), XIV gains value as it gets closer to Options expiration. VXX loses money even if VIX is unchanged due to the higher cost of repurchasing expiring options.  This is a high risk move so keep investments in XIV small relative to total investment portfolio.
 
I'll look for the best opportunity to get back in with my long term holdings.