Tuesday, March 29, 2011

That’s why my online broker has a sell button…

Needless to say, when my expectation for a drop in the S&P today, didn’t pan out, I sold my QID (2xshort) position in the morning for a small gain…enough to take my wife out to Chick-Fil-A for a milkshake.  I am reminded again of my favorite trading advice…trade what you see not what you think.

Consumer confidence down again…terrible housing statistics; wars; natural disaster; food, clothing, & fuel prices rising rapidly; dogs and cats…living together – no problem…..

This market just wants to go up. 

I don’t have much of a rule for how far above the trend line the market should be before the trend is now up.  Some say we would need to be 3% above trend; others say it must close above trend for 2-days.  A combination seems about right.  As they say, “The trend is your friend.”  (Everything I learned about the stock market, I learned in kindergarten…and I seem to have forgotten most of that!)

The NTMS analysis may give us a Buy signal soon.  Otherwise, let’s see what happens tomorrow.

The NTSM analysis is still improving, still neutral, and still a HOLD.

I am still conservatively positioned with only 30% invested in stocks.