Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Wednesday Update of the Navigate the Stock Market System

Wow…when I said there was reason to be cautious in the month (or months) ahead, I didn’t expect problems the next day!

The ADP jobs data was abysmal today since it showed a gain of only 39,000 jobs from April to May.  Analysts had predicted 175,000 jobs. 

The House of Representatives played games with the National Debt limit yesterday; Republicans voted down the hike before today’s open of the market.

The ADP report shouldn’t be all that surprising – growth has slowed by a number of measures – so I think a lot of people got concerned about the Political action in the House.

Pick your poison…a little fear…some bad economic data, and today is what you get.

Technically, I am most concerned that the move down broke the trend line going back to last September.  It also now looks like the down-trend from the top (1364 on 29 April) is back in play.  Today’s big down move sets the bottom of the trend so we may get some bounce tomorrow, but it is not encouraging to see this kind of action.

If we continue down we’ll see a Sell signal from our numerical model in a couple of days, if that long.  Quite frequently there is some buying after this kind of move and we could see some more up days ahead.  As always, we’ll have to wait and see.

SUMMARY OF NTSM INDICATORS:

As of today’s close, our 4-areas of market analysis present the following picture:

SENTIMENT:  Neutral.  Sentiment is down to 51% Bulls as of today’s close.  

PRICE: Neutral. Today’s big move down sent the price indicator down, but it is not a sell yet.  

VOLUME: Neutral. I said last week that Volume has been more down than up and after today it is worse. 

VIX: Neutral.  VIX was up 18% today – not a good sign. 

NTSM is HOLD today.  The Navigate the Stock Market analysis switched to BUY on 20 April and it is HOLD today  
 
I remain 100% long in stocks in the Long-term portfolio.  That is way too aggressive for most people and I don’t recommend it unless you have a high tolerance for risk.

I sold all my trading positions this morning because yesterday’s big up move followed by a big move down was confusing.  I didn’t know at the time that today would be a HUGE down day.  I made a little on the ETF, but I lost a little on the Rydex fund (couldn’t get out until 1045AM) so I broke even overall on the trade.  Considering how we wound up for the day, I am happy to do that well.  I needed to reduce risk even though, statistically, we should bounce up from here a couple of %.