Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bad data gave a Bad signal – NTMS didn’t issue a Sell last week

Verizon “over-nighted” a router that we got yesterday so I am back in business.  The news wasn’t all good when I started going thru the data, because some of the data was bad.

I know a lot of people just read my blog and don’t buy and sell following the daily guidance; however, it is a huge irritant to get bad data from Yahoo and act on it, only to find out later that the data was bad.  Yahoo reported very high volume on 27 July at the close.  I commented at the time it seemed high, but I checked it vs. the NYSE and it seemed possible that it was correct, given the big down day. 

Now Yahoo is reporting only 3.5 billion shares traded on the 27th…a lower than average day.  When I input the historical Yahoo data (or a higher value adjusted for NYSE volume) for the 27th, the analysis did not result in a sell signal last week.

So I sold unnecessarily (at least as far as the Navigate the Stock Market system goes).

My portfolio is structured so that all I have to do is sell my 401k and I am 30% invested.  The reason I leave 30% in stocks, rather than going to zero, recognizes that I may be wrong and hedges the bet somewhat. 

An easy way to structure a portfolio to buy and sell without too much work is to put about ½ of your stock portfolio in SPDRs (SPY), the S&P ETF.  Then if you want to cut back in stock holdings, just sell the SPDRs.

NTMS remains HOLD.

At this point I am 30% invested and will watch market action before I move back in next week.   NTMS could easily drop to a Sell next week and we might look smart in spite of the bad data.  I think we will have a big rebound if the Politicians take effective action. 

BUT…the market could judge that the agreement (if they make one) will not be effective or may actually hurt the economy.  There is no certainty that an agreement will result in upward movement of the market for more than a day or two if that.

Some issues follow:

DEBT CRISIS.
If you had asked me a few weeks ago, I would have said that Obama seemed to have the right mix.  Reversing some of the Bush tax cuts seemed reasonable, but a look at some data shows a dangerous trend.  The Federal Budget is now 25% of GDP.  That is a new record for peace-time.  It was around 50% in WWII.  While we call Afghanistan and Iraq wars, the expenditures aren’t anywhere near WWII.  So it would seem that the Tea Party has a legitimate point.  When Government crowds out private industry, then you no longer have free enterprise – you have Government as the economy and I have no confidence in the ability of Government to manage any part of the economy.  Where should you draw the line?  25% seems like a reasonable place to me.

Libertarian Congressman Ron Paul said he would not vote to extend the Debt limit again.  He pointed out that it was intended to set a limit on the debt (duh) and the Government was already bankrupt.  What did he mean?

I did some math a year or two ago and found that if we paid off the Debt in 30 years at 2% interest it would take additional taxes from every taxpayer (100-million of us) of about $1,000…every month!  Sounds crazy, but the debt was $140,000 per tax payer 2-years ago, so basically, we each owe another mortgage.  Ron Paul is simply stating the truth – we won’t pay the debt back.  That is why the Federal Reserve and treasury want inflation.  If we have inflation of 4% per year, the Debt will be cut in half in 18-years (vs. GDP), because we are paying back the debt with inflated dollars.  Those dollars will be worth half as much. 

Another “benefit” of inflation is that your house will be worth twice as much in 18 years (assuming 4% annual inflation) and you feel richer.  But in fact, since all money will have ½-of today’s buying power, we will all be much poorer unless we get 4% pay increases each year.

Enough said. 

IMPACT TO THE STOCK MARKET.
The bottom line of all this is that we are entering a period of austerity immediately after one of the largest spending sprees in history brought to us by Bush and Obama.  (Pick your poison, Republican or Democrat makes little difference.)

The economy will experience very slow growth…no growth…or recession.   

The stock market is likely to advance slowly, at best, and be downright negative at worst.  The Bear market is far from over.