Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fed statement on the economy: “Significant downside risk”


The Federal Reserve statement on the economy included the words “significant downside risk.”  Those 3-words sparked a significant downside loss of 3% in the S&P 500 today, Wednesday.

Europe doesn't look good either.  With Greek debt currently yielding over 100%, the risk of default is a “certainty” according to John Hussman, Phd.  The more I read about the potential impacts of default, the worse it appears for the world economy.  But then, I am not an economist and there isn’t any point in listening to me muse on economic issues.

Today, Wednesday, the Navigate the Stock Market analysis moved to SELL.

The NTSM Volume indicator tanked; VIX has been a sell for over a month; Price action dropped to neutral; Sentiment actually got a little more bullish, but it is still extremely low.  (Sentiment is a reverse indicator – low sentiment is a Buy signal.  But we also recognize that sometimes the crowd is right.  Today, the crowd had a very low %-bull value of about 25%.  That means 3 out of 4 investors in select Rydex funds are betting the market will go down.)  VIX is our best performing indicator and Sentiment is the worst.  As a result, VIX carries more weight in our analysis than Sentiment. 

I sold on the 27 July sell signal at S&P 500 1301 and I am defensively positioned with only a small amount of my portfolio invested in stocks. (Zero stocks in the 401k.)   (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page).

I am still waiting to get another chance to short.  I lost 9% on the most recent trade – I simply held it too long…or not long enough perhaps.  I bought and sold at the same level on the S&P, but using the QID gave me a loss because the Nasdaq performed much better than the S&P.  That’s bad trading; don’t do this at home!