Monday, September 9, 2013

Stock Market Crash Coming Soon

I have posted literally dozens of “crash-posts” by pundits predicting a crash in the markets.  They are almost all missing the most critical piece of information: When?

Here’s a post from ZeroHedge where “Variant Perception” says a crash is coming between now and the beginning of Q4 2013.  Q4 begins 1 October 2013. 

CRASH COMING (Zero Hedge)
“Via a mathematical framework, that has been empirically shown to accurately model bubbles, and give a prediction for when they will ultimately come to an end, Variant Perception (VP) investigates the S&P 500 today. The framework suggests a window of time within which the S&P will experience a 'regime change', which may involve a steep price drawdown. Using this framework, VP predicts this regime change will occur any time between now and the beginning of Q413.” Story at Zero Hedge at…
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-07/ugly-wager-or-when-will-us-equitymarket-bubble-pop

Variant Perception may be found at…
http://www.variantperception.com/

MARKET REPORT
Monday, the S&P finished up 1%  to 1672 (rounded) at the close.
VIX was down 1.4% to 15.63.

Today was a statistically significant day as measured by price and volume so a down day is suggested for tomorrow, likely followed by further down days in the short-term.

MARKET INTERNALS (NYSE DATA)
The 10-day moving average of stocks advancing on the NYSE was up slightly to 52% at the close Monday.  (A number above 50% for the 10-day average is generally good news for the market.) 

New-highs outpaced new-lows today leaving the spread at +123 (it was +67 Friday), with the 10-day moving average of change in spread positive and trending up. 

The Internals are positive on the market

BACKTESTING MARKET INTERNALS – OK, BUT NOT FOR TRADING
I report internals, because I think they give clues about future market direction, especially when there is divergence. However, I decided to do a back-test of the market internals to see if they are truly predictive of market action in the short term on a daily basis.  Looking at charts vs. the S&P 500, the internals I report do SEEM to be accurately suggesting future market movement, but patterns can be deceiving.  My back-test consisted of 3-market-internal, indicators that needed to agree with each other for a buy or sell signal.  I found they slightly underperformed the S&P 500 over the last 2-years by about 3% each year. Since they underperformed, there is no point in back-testing 10-years (nor going into detail about the indicators).  The fact that they underperformed by a fairly small number shows there is some correlation and one could conclude that the internals (the way I am using them) are an OK trend following indicator, but not great.  I’ll need to do more work to see it the internals can be tweaked to find a better predictive indicator.

NTSM
Monday, the overall long-term NTSM analysis remains HOLD at the close.

MY INVESTED POSITION
I remain about 20% invested in stocks as of 5 March (S&P 500 -1540).  The NTSM system sold at 1575 on 16 April.  (This is just another reminder that I should follow the NTSM analysis and not act emotionally – I am under-performing my own system by about 2%!)  I have no problems leaving 20% or 30% invested.  If the market is cut in half (worst case) I’d only lose 10%-15% of my investments.  It also hedges the bet if I am wrong since I will have some invested if the market goes up.  No system is perfect.