Wednesday, January 25, 2012

2012 Earnings Disappointing?

The Motley Fool wrote, “…earnings are dragging down the Dow”
“Apple appears to be an outlier.  Corporate earnings have been keeping the stock market afloat, but have been a mixed bag this earnings season…
…Last quarter, corporate earnings saw their slowest earnings growth in nearly two years. The S&P 500 grew earnings by only 6%. That figure hasn't improved this earnings season, as heading into the week the current quarter was showing earnings growth of 5.7%, a slight dip from the previous quarter.”  Full story at…
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/01/25/why-the-dows-sinking-today.aspx

Perhaps, but as long as the economy continues to look good, the S&P 500 should show reasonable returns since I think investors will be willing to pay more for stocks.  The “P” in the “P/E” ratio should end higher for the year, even if earnings growth isn’t spectacular.  That assumes we avoid Euro-disaster and US recession.

So far this year the Wilshire 4500 {the “S”-fund in the federal employee 401-k (TSP)} has outperformed the S&P 500 (“C”-fund) by about 2.5%.  We’re not getting rich in the S-fund, but we could see a higher spread in the future…or not.  As I’ve noted before there are good arguments either way.  For now, I’ll stick with the S-fund.  Since the TSP only allows 3-moves per month it is best to make this sort of move on the last day or near the last day of the month.  {Editorial note: The Government Employee deferred stock investment system is probably not covered under Section 401-k of the IRS code, but since non-government folks are familiar with the term, I’ll keep using it.}

I cut my trading portfolio today since we are due for a pullback in the 5% range.  That would be quite normal and of no concern.  I am not making a prediction that will happen; I just decided to take profits in my 2xNaz position since a 5% pullback would wipe out my profits.  I made 9% on the trade; not great considering the risk, but not bad for 3-months.  I am now all cash in the trading portfolio.  (Some of my “trade” after the October low was in the QQQ, but I decided to treat the QQQ portion as a longer-term holding rather than as part of the trading portfolio.)

Today the NTSM remained BUY. 

I bought back into the stock market at S&P 500, 1155 on 7 Oct after the 6 Oct NTSM buy signal.  I remain 100% long in the long term portfolio (100% stocks in the 401k.). (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page). 

Just a reminder: 100% invested in stocks is way too much for most rational folks.   Don’t do it unless you have a high tolerance for risk.