Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Navigate the Stock Market: Hey! If you're not making money day-trading, don't do it!

As regular readers know, the NTSM system uses Rydex leveraged funds as an indicator of sentiment.  These Rydex funds are leveraged funds that are priced twice a day.  By leveraged I mean that they use options to move twice the direction of the index they track.  The Nazdaq 100 2x strategy fund will gain 2% if the Nazdaq 100 moves up 1% and, since it works in the opposite direction too, you can lose money twice as fast if you are on the wrong side of the trade.

They are intended for trading so there is no penalty for trading and one can switch long and short positions frequently.  Years ago these funds (along with the Prudent Bear Funds) were the only way the average investor could easily short the market.  Now there are numerous ETF’s that trade all day long that make more sense for short term trading and it is easy to buy options from the convenience of your computer on-line; but the Rydex funds are still used by many and I use them for long term trading when I hold a position in the trading portfolio for weeks.

The sentiment indicator is counter to what you might think.  When the indicator reaches an extreme level of bullishness (i.e., many investors are betting on upward movement in the stock market) the indicator flashes a sell signal.  The opposite is also true – an extreme number of people betting on a drop in the market is a bullish indicator.  So at tops and bottoms the sentiment indicator is a counter indicator.

But that raises a question; what about on a daily basis?  Are investors more accurate each day that the funds trade?  I decided to analyze this - hey, what can I say...I'm an engineer.  We have odd ideas of what is fun.

I looked at the Rydex 2x funds that NTMS uses as its sentiment indicator.  For each day that more people were betting the next day would be down, I checked to see if the next day was actually down.  I did the same for days when most were betting on an up day the next day.  (I actually wrote some equations to check this stuff so I didn’t have to do it manually and checked for the entire year of 2011.)

As it turned out, investors in the funds were only right 47.8% of the time.  That's worse than a coin flip where you would be right half the time on average and break even.  That amounts to a loss of around 5-million dollars per year (in round numbers) just from folks trying to beat the market day-trading a few Rydex funds that I checked.  Hey! If you're not making money day-trading, don't do it!

Tomorrow, I will check the NTSM system using the same approach to see if the daily calls of the system (buy, sell or hold) can predict the next day’s move.   I have always said no, because I designed the system to call tops and bottoms, but it is about time to crunch some numbers and find out.  

The NTSM analysis is BUY today.  

I bought back into the stock market at S&P 500, 1155 on 7 Oct after the 6 Oct NTSM buy signal.  I remain 100% long in the long term portfolio (100% stocks in the 401k.). (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page). 

I am 90% long in the trading portfolio.

Just a reminder: 100% invested in stocks is way too much for most rational folks.   Don’t do it unless you have a high tolerance for risk.  While I like to brag about the NTSM's great performance, it did have 2-down years in the last 6.  No system is perfect.