Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dennis Gartman says, up we go…

Suffolk’s own Dennis Gartman, and frequent guest on CNBC, was summarized in an interview with Kitco News.com on 13 January.  He predicted Dow 16,500.  That’s up 33% from here.  Assuming a similar gain on the S&P 500, that would put the S&P 500 around…ta dah…1700.  That would be a new high for the markets.

I love Dennis, but this bear market isn’t going away that soon.  I would be amazed if it broke 1575 on the S&P 500 in the next 5-years.
Full story at http://www.kitco.com/reports/KitcoNews20120113DeC_interview.html

WHAT DOES HISTORY SAY?
Here’s what I have said in the recent past…
9 Jan Blog Comment: “In the 1966 Bear market, both peaks and troughs seemed to cycle roughly every 4-years, so perhaps this year (2012) will fool all of the pundits (including my previous commentary) and give us another down year as we head down to a MAJOR bottom in 2013.  The last major trough was in 2009.
<My comment today: As I look at Greece and all of the debt issues in Europe (and even our own), I think a significant drop from this year is VERY possible.  History would support that move.>

7 Dec Blog Comment: “11-years into the 1966 bear market the Dow made lows 25% below the high of the 1966 Bear market (high about 1000).  The Dow went on to make a run upward of 16% in the following year before falling in another Bear cycle.  If we go up 16% from the 1099 low we are in the range of 1275-1300. 
< My comment today: We’re there now.>

7 Dec Blog Comment: I think we’ll make 1290 by year-end and that’s up a little from my previous guess.”
< My comment today: I was only 6-days off on that guess>

3 Nov Blog Comment: “Historically, the smallest increase in the next Bull phase following a bear cycle was 29% in 1911-1912.  That would carry us to about 1420…(but) the high won’t be above 1550.”
< My comment today: Seems reasonable..>

My point (perhaps pointless): My thoughts are completely schizophrenic – we can go anywhere from here depending on the Euro-debt crisis.  Well, enough rambling, let’s look at some news, the market and the NTSM system..

We’ve had good news from China (growth ahead of expectations; good forward comments from Citi (they said the economy looks better); decent earnings so far; it is hard to believe that we have any problems out there; but then…

According to CNN/Money, a “…Fitch official told Reuters Tuesday, "Greece is insolvent so it will default."- Full story at…
http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/17/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm

Just check out yesterday’s blog for possible impacts; however, I don’t want to be a fear monger here.  Collectively the market has put aside Europe for the time being.

The S&P 500 was up over 1% today to 1308.  VIX fell almost 6% to 20.9.

Today the NTSM analysis remained BUY.

I bought back into the stock market at S&P 500, 1155 on 7 Oct after the 6 Oct NTSM buy signal.  I remain 100% long in the long term portfolio (100% stocks in the 401k.). (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page). 

I am 90% long in the trading portfolio.  I may take profits on the trade soon to cut some risk. 

Just a reminder: 100% invested in stocks is way too much for most rational folks.   Don’t do it unless you have a high tolerance for risk.