Monday, February 11, 2013

Sequestration

SEQUESTRATION (8% Cut in defense Spending)
The more I listen to politicians, the more likely it looks that we may actually have sequestration take place.  The cuts don’t look that big when compared to annual budget deficits exceeding 1-trillion dollars.  Doug Short looked at Defense spending cuts and produced the following historical chart of defense expenditures versus GDP:


Chart from...
http://advisorperspectives.com/dshort/commentaries/Sequestration-National-Defense-130211.php

Doug Short wrote:
“Discretionary defense budget cuts of this magnitude will have a significant impact on GDP far beyond the government consumption expenditures and gross investment subcomponent. The military spending cuts will have a ripple effect on gross private domestic investment and will trim the personal income that drives the largest component of GDP, personal consumption expenditures.

If sequestration indeed happens, as increasingly looks to be the case, the US economy will be in for an economic struggle that will greatly increase our risk of a recession.” – Doug Short. Full story at…
http://advisorperspectives.com/dshort/commentaries/Sequestration-National-Defense-130211.php

So it looks like Defense Spending is now about 6% of GDP.  The proposed sequestration reduction is 8.3%.  So the sequestration cut would directly reduce GDP by ½ of one percent (6% GDP x 8.3% reduction = 0.5% GDP).  As Doug Short noted, the real concern will be the ripple effects, since this spending cut will impact periphery businesses and employment. 

IS THE STOCK MARKET REALLY TOPPING? - Dominic Cimino
“I'll be the first to admit - because of a macro-economic backdrop that has elicited what I believe are three ominous, unprecedented phenomena that provide for unparalleled uncertainty in regard to the globe's financial future (e.g. the three are: (1) unprecedented global debt and leverage, (2) unprecedented central bank liquidity injections into the world economy in an effort to correct imbalances, and (3) global fiat currency solidarity), I have looked with skepticism at this cyclical stock market rally…(but)… I believe the strong uptrends confirmed by current charts suggest it's premature to call a market top.” - Dominic Cimino, Guest Post at dShort.com, Advisor Perspectives at...
http://advisorperspectives.com/dshort/guest/Dominic-Cimino-130211-Market-Update.php

RE: CALL A TOP
Dominic Cimino may not be calling a top, but I’m almost there.  I expect a “correction top” soon say within a couple of percent higher than today’s close.  If I see a big daily move up, I’ll take an aggressive short position with tight stops (i.e., if the market keeps going up I’ll limit losses to less than 2% of the trade value).  The market pattern looks similar to those I have observed before, so a short position is interesting.  If we were to get a correction start at 1550, I expect it to be about a 5-10% drop.  That guess is subject to revision if bad news picks up or if the market keeps going up.  

At this point, I don’t plan on selling long-term investments so I’ll stay invested until the NTSM system calls a “sell”.  Actually, since I think we will get a relatively small correction, the NTSM analysis might not indicate a sell.  On the other hand, implementation of Sequestration might change investor moods; so again, I’ll rely on NTSM analysis regarding long-term money.

I don’t plan on discussing the short position much here either.  I have found it confusing to discuss short-term trades and long-term investments simultaneously. 

MARKET RECAP
Monday, the S&P 500 was down 1PT to 1,517 (rounded).  VIX fell about 0.6%, to 12.94.

NTSM
Monday, the NTSM analysis remained HOLD.

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on a BUY signal 7 of 9-days, and more importantly, consecutive closes above the prior high of 1466, I moved into the stock market at 1471 on the S&P 500 on 14 January.  I am currently invested in a range of near 50% invested in stocks.