Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Another top indicator for the S&P 500?


I remember a year ago that a CNBC talking-head said that the bull market would be over when Joe-public began to move back into the market.  All thru the 2009-2010 Bull run, Joe-public investor was taking money OUT of the stock market as reported by the Investment Company Institute.  That changed in January of 2011 as money began to return to Domestic Stock funds.  The respite was short though – money again began flowing out of the market in April and there have been parabolic (every increasing rates) of withdrawal in June and July.  I wish Joe was reading this blog; it would have saved him a lot of pain.  I hate that so many missed the Bull and started buying at the top. 

If you find this Blog helpful, refer it to your friends.  I need more viewership.   You can always comment or ask questions by emailing navigatethemarket@gmail.com.

The NTSM analysis is a HOLD today, but just barely.  If the move had been a little smaller we would have had a sell.  Actually, I don’t have final volume numbers for the S&P so it’s possible we had a sell anyway.

I closed the short positions in the trading account with an 11% profit.  Not bad for 1-week’s work.  I think this bounce may get back to the 1175 area.  If it does, I’ll re-establish shorts.

I sold on the 27 July sell signal at S&P 500 1301 and I am defensively positioned with only a small amount of my portfolio invested in stocks. (Zero stocks in the 401k.)