Thursday, August 25, 2011

Famous Stock Market Quotes: “Do you feel lucky; well do ‘ya, Punk?”


I spent the day prepping for the hurricane including moving a sailboat with friends so this was not a day to watch that market.  It was a good day to short if you were smart enough to go short near the top of this morning’s bounce.  I may not post much next week depending on the status of electrical power after the storm.

As you know I like to quote John Hussman, PhD.   He is a proponent of the CAPE method of valuing stocks.  CAPE is an acronym for a modified price earnings ratio based on a 10-yr earnings average adjusted for inflation.  I saw a report yesterday where some were suggesting (in another study) that the CAPE is too bearish now because the 10-yr avg. includes 2-significant downturns of low earnings.  If I can find the reference I’ll post more on it later.

The key S&P 500 level is around the previous 1119 low.  We have visited that general vicinity 4-times over the last 3-weeks.  While it is my guess that the 1119 level will not hold and we will see further declines from that level, that’s just what I think.  As the famous trader said, “Trade what you see; not what you think.”  We’ll have to see if it holds there with improving market internals.  The internals were so bad on 8 August when we made the 1119 low it shouldn’t be hard to improve on them.  The trouble is, even if we have a successful test we might fail to hold that level in the coming weeks.  So if we have a successful test, the question may be, “Do you feel lucky; well do ‘ya, Punk?”

NTSM is HOLD today.  

I sold on the 27 July sell signal at S&P 500 1301 and I am defensively positioned with only a small amount of my portfolio invested in stocks. (Zero stocks in the 401k.)