Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Looking to short more if opportunity knocks…


We’re probably due for some more declines.  I’ll watch the market tomorrow to decide whether to reestablish short positions.  We hit our 1175 target based on a 50% retracement back toward the previous high.  Since I still think we will test 1119 again, we should be able to make money short at least down to 1119.  This is not as sure as the previous short because we are further into the correction now and the other bounce was off the first low. 

I number the lows in a correction as each lower low occurs.  The 1st low is the point that is the lowest low before the market turns up.  The 2nd low will happen when a new low is set and the market again turns up.

1119 is the first low we made in this downturn.  It would be unusual for a correction to end without making further lows before we exhaust selling; therefore, I don’t think 1119 will hold.  We’ll see.

I will go short in the trading portfolio if tomorrow is a big up-day since that might signal the end of the upward movement.  There is a bias for big up days to be followed by down ones.  Otherwise, I’ll just see what happens.

The NTSM analysis is a HOLD today after yesterday’s Hold.

I sold on the 27 July sell signal at S&P 500 1301 and I am defensively positioned with only a small amount of my portfolio invested in stocks. (Zero stocks in the 401k.)