Friday, June 22, 2012

Can Oil Predict Market Direction?


What Does Oil Know That Stocks Don't? | ZeroHedge
“With West Texas Intermediate crude oil trading…near two year lows, while stocks remain within a few percent of their four-year highs, one has to question just what it is that stocks believe about our bright new future of growth and demand that the all-important energy markets do not…Between Europe's recession, last night's dismal China PMI, and a significantly trending rise in US unemployment claims, it seems more likely that the global demand picture painted by the oil market is a better reflection of reality than the earnings/multiple picture painted by the nominal price of US equities.” Additional chart at:

I am not a believer in the stock market right now.  This market still seems to be waiting for more news so I am very cautious.          

MARKET
Friday, today, the S&P 500 was up 0.72% to 1335.  The VIX fell 9% to 18.21.  So we continue a trend of wild swings in the VIX.  The options boys can’t decide whether a crash is around the corner; or, perhaps the market will just slowly go up.

NTSM
The NTSM analysis remained HOLD today.  I wrote yesterday all the indicators were neutral.  That wasn’t quite right. VIX was negative yesterday, but today it improved.  Today, all indicators really are neutral.

MY INVESTED POSITION
I remain out of the market…
I reduced my stock holdings to 30% (0% in stock in the 401k) at S&P 1358 after the SELL signal on 9 May 2012. (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page).  I cut my stock position to 15% on 17 May in order to maintain a 10% gain in a trading/longer-term position I had in the QQQ.