Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Market Internals Aren’t Telling Much

Breadth, the number of advancing stocks versus declining stocks continues to improve since the 1278 low on 1 June.  Volume hasn’t given any indication that there is a correction underway. The percentage of New-highs vs. new-lows (the number of stocks making a new high divided by new-highs+new-lows) is declining over the longer term.  In other words there seem to be fewer new highs on a percentage basis. In short, market internals are a mixed bag without much trend.  As I have speculated before, the market seems to be in a holding pattern until the news gets a little clearer.

MARKET
Wednesday, today, the S&P 500 was up nearly 1% to 1332.  The VIX fell 1.4% to 19.45. 

NTSM
The NTSM analysis is HOLD again today, Wednesday. 

MY INVESTED POSITION
I remain out of the market…
I reduced my stock holdings to 30% (0% in stock in the 401k) at S&P 1358 after the SELL signal on 9 May 2012. (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page).  I cut my stock position to 15% on 17 May in order to maintain a 10% gain in a trading/longer-term position I had in the QQQ.