Friday, June 8, 2012

Is the Correction Over?

I looked again at the data for 4 June 2012 when the S&P 500 was 1278.  That was a test of the prior low of 1278 the day before.  Market internals improved on the test; but not enough, in my opinion.  It’s a close call, but it still (on further consideration) looks like a failed test to me and, assuming I am right, that means the S&P 500 is likely to re-test the 1278 area again.  Not everyone agrees because the S&P 500 is up 3% since then.  If I am right, this rally will fail, but it is important to keep emotions out of these decisions. 

There has been so much negative news we must always remember that we don’t have all the news and also, our interpretation of the news is going to be less than perfect.  In other words, just because things look bad doesn’t mean the market will continue to go down.

The most success I have had (timing the market) is when I have used an analytical system.  My current system, for lack of a more interesting title is called simply, the NTSM system (short for Navigate the Stock Market).  If I am wrong about the 4 June test of the prior low, I am counting on the NTSM system to give a buy signal to correct the miss.   So far, the market is not reacting positively enough to generate a buy . Given all the bad news, there is nothing wrong with maintaining a conservative position with regard to the stock market.

MARKET
The S&P 500 finished UP 0.8% at 1326.  VIX fell 2.3% to 21.23 today, Friday.

NTSM
The NTSM remained HOLD Friday.  

MY INVESTED POSITION
I reduced my stock holdings to 30% (0% in stock in the 401k) at S&P 1358 after the SELL signal on 9 May 2012. (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page).  I cut my stock position to 15% on 17 May in order to maintain a 10% gain in a trading/longer-term position I had in the QQQ.