Wednesday, May 23, 2012

CRASH RISK IS VERY REAL

CRASH RISK IS VERY REAL - By Michael A. Gayed, CFA, Chief investment strategist at Pension Partners, LLC. (excerpt from MarketWatch)
“I have been aggressively sounding the alarm in my various writings here on MarketWatch and in media appearances since Friday that I am deeply concerned with the behavior of credit markets...emerging market debt and junk collapsed relative to Treasuries in a way that suggests a credit event may be upon us...the risk of a more serious breakdown in stocks remains very real in the very short-term.  Full story at:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-crash-risk-remains-very-real-2012-05-23?link=MW_Nav_TD


MARKET
The S&P 500 was UP slightly (0.2%) Wednesday to 1319 (rounded off).  VIX fell 0.67% to 22.3. 

The S&P 500 remains 3% above the 200-day moving average and 7% below the prior high of 1419.  The market is overdue for a bounce. The S&P 500 might get back to the 1350’s, but the trend remains down and the correction is far from over. 

NTSM
The NTSM analysis is SELL again Wednesday.

MY INVESTED POSITION
I reduced my stock holdings to 30% (0% in stock in the 401k) at S&P 1358 after the SELL signal on 9 May 2012. (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page).  I cut my stock position to 15% on 17 May in order to maintain a 10% gain in a trading/longer-term position I had in the QQQ.