Friday, May 11, 2012

Michigan Consumer Sentiment – Way up! NTSM is still SELL


The University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment number was 77.8 for May, up from 76.4 in April.  As Rick Santelli of CNBC said, “I'll tell you what, that is definitely much stronger than expected. As a matter of fact, 77.8 is going to be the highest level going back to January of '08 at 78.4. So that really is a whopper of a number and keep in mind, that is a preliminary read, so it's not the final read that goes (into) the books. But that's a big number, no dismissing it. I would think that that's going to be an optimistic read for the equity markets…”  Full video at:

That was early Friday so the markets apparently shrugged it off.  If the market doesn’t go up on good news – that’s a bad indicator for the near term.  Consumer Sentiment tends to follow the stock market, so a solid number is not too surprising and maybe the traders arrived at the same conclusion.  No surprise – no market reaction.

I have been experimenting with an indicator that is based on the Morgan Stanley Cyclical Index.  The theory is that the smart money will sell the cyclical stocks faster than the S&P 500 stocks if investors are worried about recession.  I haven’t had the time to back test this as much as I’d like so I am not using it as part of the NTSM analysis, but I do like to keep track of it.  Today the Morgan Stanley Cyclical Index indicator flashed sell.   That doesn’t mean much – but it is worth noting.  It's another indicator that the market is not healty.

MARKET
The S&P 500 was DOWN 0.34% Friday to 1353.  VIX rose 6% to 19.89.

NTSM
The NTSM analysis shifted back to SELL Friday.  VIX went up so our indicator shifted to sell.  The Volume indicator remains sell.

MY INVESTED POSITION
I reduced my stock holdings to 30% in the long-term portfolio on the SELL signal on 9 May 2012. (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page).

With 30% remaining in stocks, I will make some money if the sell signal is wrong. Conversely, even if the market loses half its value, I would only be down 15% of the portfolio.