Monday, September 19, 2016

Home Builder Confidence … Stock Market Analysis

NAHB HOME BUILDER CONFIDENCE (MarketWatch)
“Home builder confidence surged in September to match its highest reading in a decade, an industry group said Monday. The National Association of Home Builders’ index jumped six points to 65 in September. That was the highest since last October…” Story at…
 
MARKET REPORT / ANALYSIS        
-Monday the S&P 500 was unchanged at 2139 at the close.
-VIX was down about 1% to 15.53 at the close.
-The yield on the 10-year Treasury remained 1.7%.
 
This morning I was about to call the end of the pullback that hasn’t really gotten going; but when I entered market data, the indicators didn’t agree. They were still pointing down. That was at the high of the day so the answers only got worse at the close. Perhaps tomorrow I’ll get better news. It may be that the market is just biding time until the FED announcement Wednesday afternoon. 
 
Monday, my collection of 16-indicators improved from -5 to -4.
 
New-highs outpaced new-lows today and improved from 21 to 50.  This stat needs to continue to improve if we are to avoid further pullback. At the top on 15 August, the spread was +215.
 
My Money Trend indicator remains headed down Monday; after slowing Friday its rate of change picked up Monday. 
 
Breadth is still flashing “Sell” short-term when compared to the S&P 500; so overall the most likely market direction is down, but its signal is not as strong as it has been.
 
As noted previously, I’d still like to see some confirmation in the charts. A drop below the prior low of 2126 on higher volume would confirm the bearish position. Otherwise, it will necessitate cutting back on short positions.
 
SHORT TRADE
I am still holding short positions in SH (about half my prior position) and QID. My guess is that I will sell at a loss soon.  I will wait to see how the market reacts in the future.
 
MARKET INTERNALS (NYSE DATA)
The 10-day moving average of the percentage of stocks advancing (NYSE) dropped to 48.2% Monday. It was 49.4% Friday. A number below 50% is usually BEARISH for the markets short-term.
 
On a longer term, the 150-day moving average of advancing stocks dipped to 55.0%. A value above 50% generally indicates an up-trend.  The McClellan Oscillator improved from -41 to -20 (percentage calculation method).
 
New-highs outpaced New-lows. The spread (new-highs minus new-lows) improved to +50 Monday. (It was +21 Friday.) The 10-day moving average of the change in spread was -15. In other words, over the last 10-days, on average, the spread has decreased by 15 each day. New-high/new-low data still points down, but its rate of decline slowed sharply and is hinting at a turn-up.
Market Internals remained neutral on the market.
Market Internals are a decent trend-following analysis of current market action, but should not be used alone for short term trading. They are usually right, but they are often late.  They are most useful when they diverge from the Index.  In 2014, using these internals alone would have made a 9% return vs. 13% for the S&P 500 (in on Positive, out on Negative – no shorting). 
 
LONG TERM INDICATOR
Monday the Price was positive. Sentiment, Volume & VIX indicators were neutral. The calm-before-the-storm indicator is “carry-over negative”.  Overall the long-term indicator remained HOLD.
MY INVESTED STOCK POSITION:
TSP (RETIREMENT ACCOUNT – GOV EMPLOYEES) ALLOCATION
I reduced stock allocation to 30% stocks in the S&P 500 Index fund (C-Fund) Wednesday, 14 Sep in my long-term accounts based on the Sell signal on 13 Sep.
 
I’ll switch back to BUY-mode soon if short-term indicators turn up, assuming the long-term indicators remain OK.
 
This is a very conservative view given that market conditions seem relatively sanguine right now. Since I am retired, my conservative position is reasonable for me and I sleep well. Additionally, I have missed opportunities recently by ignoring my system and for now I will follow the system.