Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Navigate the Stock Market (NTSM) is BUY

The Navigate the Stock Market system switched back to BUY today, even though the S&P 500 was down 1.25% to 1250.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of this Holiday season goes.  Last year the S&P went nowhere during the break between Christmas and New Year’s Day; it finished a few tenths from where it started.   Perhaps this year will be more eventful, but perhaps not too eventful.  The S&P 500 would need to drop below 1210 before I would be worried.  That’s where the short-term bottom trend line is now. 

On a longer term chart view, there seems to be a neutral wedge pattern (falling highs and rising lows) that is one of those patterns that is not well defined, i.e., it can be resolved either up or down.  So I’ll stick with the NTSM analysis – I’m not a chart guy anyway.

For Government employees and Military: I note that the “S” fund (Wilshire 4500) is outperforming the “C” fund (S&P 500) by about 5% since 6 October when the NTSM switched to Buy.  So, I will remain in the S-fund for the time being.  That opinion is bolstered by a recent article in the WSJ suggesting that small-cap stocks will continue to outperform large caps.

I remain 100% long in the 401k due to the NTSM BUY signal of 6 October 2011 and I am 90% long in the trading portfolio.