Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Trifecta of Disappointment

The front page of today’s Wall Street Journal headlined: “FedEx Customers Flee Next-Day”; “Oracle’s Sales Stall”; and “Suntech’s Bankruptcy Rattles US Investors”.  Add todays’ poor earnings result from Caterpillar and the bad news is liable to gain traction.  I’ll ignore the Chinese company, Suntech, but earnings disappointments from a Tech company (Oracle); a transportation company (FedEx); and the bellwether cyclical stock (Caterpillar), are a trifecta of very good reasons for a stock sell-off.

The S&P 500 was 9.9% above its 200-dMA at the 14 Mar 1563 high.  As I wrote a while back, that was about my guess for a short term top and that remains my best guess although it’s still possible the markets could get another 5% higher.  Currently, the market internals I track are trending flat to slightly down without enough conviction to indicate where the market is headed.

I saw a discussion on CNBC where an ardent Bull said he was bullish because earnings were at an all-time high.  Frankly, that is actually a fact that should cause thoughtful investors to take some money off the table.  If earnings are at an all-time high (and they are), then the only way forward is down.  Falling earnings (or even stalled earnings growth, will take the markets down.

Action during the last hour of the day, the so called “Smart Money” has been trending down slightly since the recent run-up started in December of 2012, but the market was down sharply in the last hour today.

If this is the long awaited correction, I’d expect a 10% correction assuming we don’t get bad news along the way.  That may be a bad assumption given the news from Europe.

MARKET RECAP
Thursday, the S&P 500 finished down 0.8% to 1546 (rounded). VIX was up 10% to 13.99.

NTSM
Thursday, the NTSM analysis remained HOLD at the close.

My numerical system, the Navigate the Stock Market analysis (or NTSM) has been deteriorating.  Sentiment is already extremely stretched.  The recent rise in the VIX and increased downside Volume has begun to suggest that the NTSM may switch to sell soon.  That would confirm my current bearish stance.  Frankly, whenever I have chosen to ignore my NTSM analysis and make a “reasoned,” though still somewhat emotional, decision, I have lost money relative to the S&P 500.  We’ll have to wait and see what happens this time.

MY INVESTED POSITION
With long-term funds, I remain about 20% invested in stocks as of 5 March, due to my risk tolerance rather than the numerical NTSM analysis.  To put it bluntly, I currently have no tolerance for risk.  (If I were strictly following the NTSM numbers, I'd still be heavily invested in stocks.) My reasoning may be found at…
http://navigatethestockmarket.blogspot.com/2013/03/why-i-got-mostly-out-of-stock-market.html