Thursday, March 28, 2013

Percent Above the 200-day Moving Average

I suggested yesterday that I would post a few details on why I think the market is topping here’s one:

PERCENT ABOVE 200-dMA (Can you trade it? Maybe)
I have always suggested the answer to that question was no, because the value at tops varies quite a lot.  In October of 2009 the S&P 500 was trading at nearly 21% above its 200-day moving average and the market didn’t top out until April of 2010 and by then the %-above the 200dMA had fallen to a more reasonable 12%.  Clearly, the bullishness reached extreme levels after the major bear market bottom in March of 2009.  Percent above the 200-dMA was 15% and 12% at the tops in 2011 and 2012 respectively.  Since there’s a lot of variation I decided to look at this from several different angles.

Statistical analysis shows that the most recent tops occurred shortly after the time the standard deviation of the 200-day data set (for %-above the 200-dMA) reached about 2-standard deviations above the norm.  That means that the values exceeded 75% of the data set.  While that is interesting, there is enough difference to make it a difficult value to use for investing decisions (It was 2.3 standard deviations in 2011).

The trend in the 200-dMA is another matter.  I think the downward trend in the peak values of the %-above the 200-dMA shown in red on the chart indicates the S&P 500 is topping now.  The peaks in the %-above the 200-dMA coincide reasonably with the peaks in the S&P 500, though this is far from an exact science.      
 
I also looked at this question from a third perspective.  Since %-above the 200-dMA is a reflection of sentiment, I combined the %-above the 200dMA with the sentiment data in the NTSM analysis to produce the data shown green in the chart above.  Since the green data-points tend to suggest a top when the value reaches 6.5% (the horizontal green line), this too suggests the S&P 500 is topping, though you can make an argument that we haven’t gotten to the top quite yet.

The above arguments suggest a top, but I still am running daily numbers in the NTSM system and they remain neutral.  There have been signals within the NTSM system that have suggested a top and I will continue my discussion of a top later.
 
MARKET RECAP
Wednesday, the S&P 500 finished up 0.4% to 1569 (rounded).

VIX fell 3% to 12.70.


NTSM
Thursday, the NTSM analysis remained HOLD at the close.  The numerical analysis has not yet confirmed my “off-the-grid” top-call.

Sentiment is a sell; Price is a buy; and Volume and VIX are in neutral.  VIX is more negative today, so perhaps the NTSM analysis will issue a warning next week.

 
MY INVESTED POSITION
I remain about 20% invested in stocks as of 5 March (S&P 500-1525), due to my risk tolerance rather than the numerical NTSM analysis.  To put it bluntly, I currently have no tolerance for risk.  (If I were strictly following the NTSM numbers, I'd still be heavily invested in stocks.) My reasoning may be found at…
http://navigatethestockmarket.blogspot.com/2013/03/why-i-got-mostly-out-of-stock-market.html