Monday, November 28, 2011

Big Bounce today

The S&P 500 was up almost 3% today while the VIX fell 7%.  The S&P was up only 2-days in the last 10 so it was overdue for a bounce.  

Volumes have been declining during the downturn since the end of October.  To me, that indicates that, at worst, the downturn (if it continues) will be a re-test of the prior low.  If the S&P 500 declines to 1099, I expect that the market will move up from there.  It is quite possible that we might not get down as low as 1099 again. 

If the S&P 500 was heading down toward a new low, volumes would have been increasing as more investors started selling.  At best?  Some are suggesting that today was the beginning of the Santa Clause rally.  That may be a bit premature, but I am still reasonably bullish in the sense I think that the S&P 500 will be higher before year end.  1275 by year end is not impossible. 

NTMS is HOLD.

I bought back into the stock market at S&P 500, 1155 on 7 Oct after the 6 Oct NTSM buy signal.  I remain 100% long in the long term portfolio (100% stocks in the 401k.). (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page). 

I am 90% long in the trading portfolio. 

Just a reminder: 100% invested in stocks is way too much for most rational folks.   Don’t do it unless you have a high tolerance for risk.