Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Volume Down Again – and so were the Markets

I may not post over the weekend since things  will be busy with Holiday family visitors.

The S&P 500 was down 2.2% to 1162 Wednesday and the VIX rose to 34 up 6%.

A German Bond auction went poorly with fewer buyers than expected and yields rose.  Germany is the safe haven economy and the strongest of the Euro zone countries…supposedly.  So this development is not good news.  In fact, I think it is VERY bad news.

Sentiment is oddly high considering that the S&P is falling fast.  The 5-day sentiment indicator is 59%-bulls as of yesterday’s close.

The VIX indicator is stuck in a relatively high range and isn’t generating a sell signal that would get me out of this mess.  I’ll be taking a look at the indicator to adjust it for specialized conditions.  It is going to take some work and then back testing so I don’t expect it to help make a decision in this downturn.

Volume fell again today and was about 80% of the 20-dMA of volume on the NYSE (pre-Holiday).  At this point that doesn’t mean much since we are on the way to a re-test of the 1099 closing low we had on 3 October. 

I considered selling today, but it was late and the web site guidance was confusing.  It looked like a sell request wouldn’t be processed until Friday night because of the Holiday.  If that was the case, why not wait and decide on Friday?

As of today the NTSM system is up 3.5% on the year.  The S&P 500 is down 8%

NTMS is HOLD.

I bought back into the stock market at S&P 500, 1155 on 7 Oct after the 6 Oct NTSM buy signal.  I remain 100% long in the long term portfolio (100% stocks in the 401k.). (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page). 

I am 90% long in the trading portfolio.  Since the trading portfolio is in the QQQ this time, I’ll sell it when we get a buy indication and buy a 2xETF.   That way I can take a tax loss and with a 2x fund be better off as the market recovers.

HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING!