Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Maybe, John Hussman, PhD was right?

S&P 500 was down 3.7% and VIX(S&P) rose over 30% today, Wednesday.

The interest on Italy’s debt (as driven by 10-yr bond yields) rose above 7% today and traders decided that Armageddon is here, again.   I don’t know…the bond ghouls are driving the train and you have to wonder whether the market is being manipulated.  Could our enemies be trying to bring down the west?  Perhaps it’s just a result of the buy-your-vote Politicians over-spending.   Well, enough paranoid musing...

Speaking of mental illness, my writings have been schizophrenic recently.  I agree with John Hussman that recession is likely, but even so, I still remain bullish until proven otherwise. 

The Navigate the Stock Market analysis took a big hit today, but it did not issue a sell. 
a.    Sentiment is neutral.
b.    Price is neutral.
c.     Volume is neutral, but just barely.  Volume was about average today so, in spite of the big %-move down in price, this was not a typical panic.  Perhaps it was just nerves; BUT, any more significant selling and the associated down volume will push the NTSM analysis to a sell.
d.    VIX(S&P), our best indicator, switched to sell today.

 Overall the NTSM system is HOLD.

I commented last week that we could see a drop to 1225 on the S&P 500; I certainly didn’t expect that to happen in one-day!

So here we are.  The S&P 500 fell to its bottom trend line so it has not yet confirmed a break of the up-trend that has been in play since 3-October.  So yes, I am still bullish, though cautiously so and further selling will crush that tenuous optimism in a hurry.

I remain fully invested, but I will watch the NTSM analysis and act accordingly.  NTSM is based on closing data and I have gotten burned in the past when I acted on “projected” closing data, so it is likely I’ll have to wait ‘till tomorrow evening depending on the market action.  If it looks like I can make a call before the close, I’ll post during the day.

If I do have to sell, I can do that fairly easily by going to 100% cash in the 401k.  It’s one fund, so one-click will get me to a 30% long position.  I think leaving 30% invested is OK, because if selling turns out to be a wrong call, I still have 30% invested.  If the market get’s clobbered, a 30% position would only give me a 15% loss in the portfolio if the market is cut in half.