Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Still Out of the Market

MARKET RECAP 
Tuesday the S&P 500 was up less than a point to finish basically unchanged at 1428 (rounded).  VIX was up about 2.4% to 15.95.  

The markets were up a lot until Bernanke spoke.  CNBC wrote: “The Federal Reserve met market expectations Wednesday with another round of easing, this time with a pledge to keep interest rates low until unemployment falls below 6.5 percent and inflation tops 2.5 percent.” Full story from CNBC at http://www.cnbc.com/id/100306053

NTSM
The NTSM analysis remained HOLD Wednesday.  All NTSM indicators are neutral, but are now leaning toward a buy.

The S&P 500 has seen only 2-down days in the last 10.  Conversely, sentiment has fallen to 47%-bulls about where it was at the recent 1353 low.  There hasn’t been much change in market internals – see yesterday’s post.

I am slightly bullish in the short-term.  Longer term, I tend to be more pessimistic.  I have been wrong on my short position; but I have no problem being out of the market with longer term money.  This is not the time to be a hero by being overly invested. 

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the SELL signal, 7 November 2012, I moved out of the stock market at 1377 on the S&P 500.  Because of the extreme negativity I have noted from Hussman and others, I am currently invested in a range of near 15% invested in stocks and I am still holding short positions.