Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Wait and See

CYCLICAL SPREAD – RECESSION INDICATOR
The long-term spread between the Morgan Stanley Cyclical Index and the S&P 500 continues increase.  At this point, this is not a concern since the Cyclical stocks are going up too.  Even though the charts I’ve posted are similar to precursors of previous market declines (http://navigatethestockmarket.blogspot.com/2012/12/ntsm-cyclical-index-spread-increasing.html), unless the spread starts getting steeper and the Cyclical stocks start falling too, this isn’t a negative for the overall market.
 
MARKET RECAP
Wednesday the S&P 500 was down 0.76% to 1436 (rounded).  VIX was up over 11% to 17.36.   (Who woke up the Options Boys?!)

NTSM
Wednesday the NTSM analysis switched to HOLD as volume moved to the downside. 

Sentiment increased to 63%-bulls at the close on Tuesday.  (I am always a day late on this indicator unless I stay up late to collect today’s, Wednesdays, data.)

The sell point is currently 67%-bulls for the Sentiment indicator.  I say, “currently” because this indicator varies with the sentiment trends over the past year and a statistical analysis of that trend.  It could easily move to SELL in a day or two if the buy-the-dip crowd moves in. 
 
MY THOUGHTS
A Sell in the sentiment indicator wouldn’t push the entire system to sell, but it calls into question whether I should be buying back in at this point.  I missed buying-the-low at 1353 and the move has been straight up since then, so the market is due for a breather.  We’ll see low-volume over the Holidays, so it’s anybody’s guess where the market goes, especially with the Fiscal Cliff still out there.  At this point, I have earned 10% this year – I’d rather not try to be a hero.  I am inclined to stand pat and buy later, perhaps at the end of December, assuming the market doesn’t deteriorate.  Who knows?…let’s see what happens.  As I said yesterday, this is not an exact science.  However; if I wanted to get back in the market now, I’d be inclined to invest only 50% in stocks.  I think caution remains the watch-word.

In the mean-time, I have a lot of work to do analyzing the 1353-low to figure out why the Wall Street algorithms bought before I did.  I’ll post more on that later.

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the SELL signal, 7 November 2012, I moved out of the stock market at 1377 on the S&P 500.  Because of the negativity I have noted from Hussman and others, I am currently invested in a range of near 15% invested in stocks.  NTSM now has a BUY in effect as of 18 December, but my tentative plan is to buy back into the stock market late in the month - wait and see.