Saturday, December 1, 2012

Too Much Optimism in the Stock Market

I’ve been busy Friday and Saturday, but let’s sit down and review the latest.  Thursday’s blog covered “problems” with the GDP numbers (rosy top-line, but concerns over inventories) and several recession calls.  Let’s look again at my simple recession indicator.

NTSM RECESSION INDICATOR
The NTSM recession indicator simply compares the Morgan Stanley Cyclical Index (^CYC) to the S&P 500 to see which is performing better.  If investors were betting on a recession, the ^CYC would be falling faster than the S&P 500. 

Over the last 10-days, the ^CYC is up almost 5% and, as of Thursday, it was outperforming the S&P 500 at a fairly steep rate over the longer term.  Based on these stats, it appears that investors are positioning themselves for more growth…not less.  On the other hand, I think there is too much optimism.

TOO MUCH OPTIMISM
The S&P 500 has only been down 2-days in the 10-trading days.  That’s a very long winning streak.  I looked for good news that might explain it.  Was there any?  I couldn’t find it.  At best, it seems to me the news has been neutral to slightly positive – just not that positive.

MARKET RECAP                                                                               
Friday the S&P 500 was up a fraction of a point, but basically unchanged at 1416. (rounded).  (I don’t like tiny gains.  I always figure if the market can’t go up it will go down.  That’s partly superstition.)

MARKET PREDICTION
VIX dropped to 15 Thursday, but bounced up more than 5% to 15.9 on Friday.  Breadth fell Friday – there were 1279 stocks advancing and 1666 declining.  So both VIX and breadth were down, but the S&P 500 was unchanged.  Combine that with the extreme number of days the S&P 500 has been up over the last 2-weeks and I’d say Monday will be a down day.   

My favorite “new-hi/new lo” indicator (a long-term one) is also turning down. Bottom line, I think the bounce from the 15 November low is coming to an end and the market will begin trending down.  I might also note that the bounce has taken the S&P 500 up about 50% off the low and that is a common retracement level.  

I am still betting that the markets will re-test the 1353 low.  When it does, I’ll analyze the data and make a decision – buy or continue to remain mostly out of the market.

NTSM
The NTSM analysis remained HOLD Friday.

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the SELL signal, 7 November 2012, I moved out of the stock market at 1377 on the S&P 500.  Because of the extreme negativity I have noted from Hussman and others, I am currently invested in a range of near 15% invested in stocks and I am still holding short positions.