Monday, April 23, 2012

John Hussman, PhD - Recession may be here.

RECESSION
“...we've never seen the ensemble of broad economic drivers and aggregate output (real personal income, real personal consumption, real final sales, global output, real GDP, and even employment growth) jointly as weak as they are now on a year-over-year basis, except in association with recession... My guess is that we'll eventually mark a new recession as beginning in April or May 2012.”

STOCKS
Mr. Hussman Characterized the market as an “...overextended market coupled with a loss of supporting factors...among the most negative 1% of observations on record, particularly on a 6-18 month horizon..."  Weekly Market Commentary for 23 April 2012, Hussman Funds at... 

MARKET COMMENTARY FROM GORDON LIGHTFOOT
“Sometimes I think it’s a sin,
when I feel like I’m winnin’ but I’m losin’ again.” 
...so much for my Friday optimism.

LONDON (MarketWatch) — “It’s been a black weekend for economic and monetary union (EMU). The first round of the French presidential elections has torpedoed German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s strategy for guiding cash-strapped EMU members out of trouble. The euro area’s No. 2 creditor country after Germany, the Netherlands, is without a functioning administration after the government fell on Saturday in another row over shoring up the single currency’s faltering framework.” 

It seems austerity is not popular.  Go figure.  Full story at...

THE MARKET
The S&P 500 was DOWN 0.8% Monday to 1367.  VIX was UP 9% to 19.07.

NTSM
In spite of the bad day, the NTSM analysis remains HOLD as of the close Monday and, depending on the final numbers, may actually be a Buy. 

That’s a real surprise to me.  I thought I might find a sell at the close today considering the market is down so much.   

Some indicators are suggesting sell; others buy.  Still, there is no volume increase.  There is almost always some volume increase, either before the top or after a top.  Nothing yet!

The water is getting warmer, but the frogs aren’t jumping.  (Referring to that old idea that if you heat the water slowly enough, the frogs won’t know they’re getting cooked.)  I don’t know about you, but I am feeling warm.

MY INVESTED POSITION
I bought back into the stock market at S&P 500, 1155 on 7 Oct after the 6 Oct NTSM buy signal.  I remain 100% long in the long-term portfolio (100% stocks in the 401k.). (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page).