Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dividend Stocks – the next Bubble?

BARRONS (ONLINE EDITION) excerpt...
"Sectors with the highest dividends are trading at rich premiums to the broad market, relative to the historical norms, warns Vadim Zlotnikov, chief market strategist at AllianceBernstein... Utility stocks, which yield about 4%, are more expensive than they have been roughly 90% of the time. Likewise, telecoms, which yield about 4.5%, are costlier than they have been about 80% of the time..."The risk of owning these [dividend-paying] stocks is that they are 20% to 25% overvalued," and any increase in inflation or bond yields could cause them to tumble."
Full story at...

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424053111904628504577593280244506506.html

My comment: Sure investors are defensive – with good reason.  The 10% mini-correction last summer was awfully small to clear the issues facing the markets.  I wouldn't give up on defensive stocks yet.

 MARKET RECAP                                                                               
Tuesday the S&P 500 finished down 1pt to 1409 (rounded).  VIX rose about 1% to 16.49. 

The S&P 500 seems to be topping out around 1410, since it has not managed to close above that value after several tries since the 16th of August. I'll be watching the NTSM analysis to see if there is a sell indicator. There was no repeat of yesterday's huge climb in the VIX so there was little change in the NTSM recommendations today.

Breadth (percentage of stocks advancing) is going down while the S&P 500 has been nearly stationary.  That’s a bad sign for the short term.  So is the Smart Money Index, because the pros are selling in the last hour of the day as I noted yesterday.  Those negatives were not reflected in the NTSM analysis though.

NTSM
The NTSM analysis remained HOLD Tuesday based on analysis of sentiment, price, volume and VIX.

The NTSM system is beating the S&P 500 by ½% for 2012.  Not much, but 89% of all hedge funds are underperforming the S&P 500 this year (per CNBC) so it could be worse.

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the BUY signal, 6 July, I moved back into the market on 9 July (after the weekend) at S&P 500 1352.  

I now have a 50% stock allocation overall.  For my age, that is what most advisors recommend, however, I am normally much more aggressive.  I have less invested in stocks now because there’s a lot of risk. 

With so many indicators that I watch in positive territory, I am still considering moving back into the market to 100% invested – a truly crazy, risky position, but I am a risk taker.  At this point, it does not look like I will get a chance to move to that 100% position in August and I have decided not to push it, since as I noted above, there are a couple of technical negatives that concern me.