Friday, August 17, 2012

Watching other Indicators

While I tend to focus on the NTSM analysis of Sentiment, Price, Volume, and VIX there are other indicators that I watch to judge the health or possible direction of the market.  Here are a few of them and where they stand:

CHARTING: I look at a chart of the S&P 500 to see where the Index falls within the channel.  It is currently in the middle of the channel so I think the S&P 500 can go up another 2% or so before it may run into headwinds.

%-ABOVE THE 200-DAY MOVING AVERAGE (200-dMA)
The S&P 500 is about 6% above its 200-dMA.  The market usually tops out when the S&P 500 is about 10-15% above the 200-dMA so there is room to run there.

SMART MONEY
There are different ways to look at the “Smart Money Index.”  I follow the action in the last hour of market trading to see what the professional-traders are doing.  Recently the trend has been down at the end of the day, but over the last 2-months or so the market has moved up in the last hour of trading so, overall, I’d say this indicator is slightly positive.  This is my least tested indicator since I’ve never found easy access to past data for this indicator.  Manually loading each day of data is too much of a pain.

RECESSION INDICATOR
My recession indicator compares the Morgan Stanly Cyclical Index to the S&P 500 index.  The theory here is that the professional traders move in and out of cyclical stocks depending on the business cycle.  In other words, they would sell the cyclical stocks (those that would be most hurt by recession) prior to recession.  This indicator is currently NOT suggesting a recession.  The cyclical stocks are rapidly gaining on the S&P 500.

So that’s a quick run-down of a few indicators that are not in the NTSM analysis.  Here’s today’s recap followed by today’s NTSM analysis result.

MARKET RECAP                                                                               
Friday the S&P 500 finished UP 0.19% to 1418 (rounded).  VIX fell almost 6% to 13.45.  I had to go all the way back to June of 2007 to find a closing VIX that low.  To me, low volatility means slow steady gains so I’ll be curious to see how much longer, and lower, the VIX will drop.  While low VIX is generally good, I do worry there is a limit to how low it can go.  If it gets too low, it may signal the start of a serious bear when it begins to rise from a very low bottom.  That’s what happened in 2007 when it dropped to 10.

NTSM
The NTSM analysis remained BUY at the close on Friday.

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the BUY signal, 6 July, I moved back into the market on 9 July (after the weekend) at S&P 500 1352.  I now have a 50% stock allocation overall.  For my age, that is what most advisors recommend, however, I am normally much more aggressive.  I have less invested in stocks now because there’s a lot of risk.