Thursday, August 9, 2012

Wall Street Vacation, but the Market Keeps Going up

Clark Griswald: “When I was a boy, just about every summer we'd take a vacation. And you know, in 18 years, we never had fun.”

I think everyone on Wall Street is on vacation this week.  Starting this past Monday, volume has dropped about 20% below the past month’s average daily volume. Looking back a bit further, volume has been dropping since early June.  At the same time the S&P 500 is up about 15% since the 4 June short term low.  That’s impressive. 

The top of the channel is 1440 (now) and the S&P 500 is only about 6% above its 200-day moving average so my guess is that the rally will continue.  I will get concerned when the S&P 500 gets 10 to 15% above the 200-dMA.

MARKET                                                                                           
Thursday the S&P 500 finished essentially unchanged (up another point) to 1403.  VIX fell 1/4% to 15.28.

NTSM
The NTSM analysis was again BUY at the close on Thursday. 

(The NTSM analysis is designed to call a BUY or SELL at the bottom or top respectively.  For that reason a BUY at this point is less significant than it would be at a bottom.  NTMS could reverse quickly from here, but I am not making that prediction.)

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the BUY signal, 6 July, I moved back into the market on 9 July (after the weekend) at S&P 500 1352.  I now have a 50% stock allocation overall.  For my age, that is what most advisors recommend, however, I am normally much more aggressive.  I am underweight my usual aggressive allocation for stocks because there’s a lot of risk now.  So far this year NTSM is beating the S&P 500 by a whopping ½% on one trade.  On a more positive note: NTMS is up about 12% this year.