Monday, August 27, 2012

Ed Rendell, Co-chair of the Campaign to Fix the Debt

CAMPAIGN TO FIX THE DEBT (Yahoo Finance)
This is not a political piece because Ed Rendell (Former Democratic Governor of Pennsylvania and Chair of the Democratic National Committee) criticizes both Republicans and Democrats reasonably equally.  Ignore the grabber title: “Ryan Is a Fiscal Fraud, But Democrats Lack the Guts to Cut Entitlements: Ed Rendell.”  I found the piece interesting.

Rendell says, "It's the additional tax cuts that creates the $5 trillion deficit from the Ryan budget…and it's the reason why even in the most optimistic terms the Ryan budget doesn't produce a balanced budget until 2040," says Rendell, who is also the author the new book "A Nation of Wusses: How America's Leaders Lost the Guts to Make US Great?"

He also criticizes his fellow Democrats….’We don't have the guts to tell seniors the truth," Rendell says. ‘When Medicare was passed in 1965, the average life expectancy was 69. Today the average life expectancy is 85. Medicare was never meant to cover nearly 20 years of life. It's got to be changed...there has to be a reshaping of entitlements.’”  Full story and/or Video at…

MARKET RECAP                                                                               
Monday the S&P 500 finished down 1pt to 1410 (rounded).  VIX rose about 8% to 16.35. 

NTSM
The NTSM analysis switched to HOLD from the prior Buy at the close on Monday.

The high climb in the VIX may signal a pullback is coming.  The smart Money Index also switched to the negative today as the pros have been selling in the last hour of trading over the last month or so.  The smart Money Index is an experimental indicator that I follow, but I don’t trade it because I don’t have enough data loaded to back test sufficiently.

As the below chart indicates, the S&P 500 is now closer to the top of the channel than the bottom.  I want to see it closer to the bottom of the channel before I commit any more $ to stocks.

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the BUY signal, 6 July, I moved back into the market on 9 July (after the weekend) at S&P 500 1352 and the NTSM system is beating the S&P 500 by ½% for 2012.  Not much, but 89% of all hedge funds are underperforming the S&P 500 this year (per CNBC) so I should be happy. 

I now have a 50% stock allocation overall.  For my age, that is what most advisors recommend, however, I am normally much more aggressive.  I have less invested in stocks now because there’s a lot of risk. 

With so many indicators that I watch in positive territory, I am still considering moving back into the market to 100% invested – a truly crazy, risky position, but I am a risk taker.  I will wait for a better buying opportunity (as noted above).