Tuesday, August 7, 2012

More Stimulus?

NEW YORK (TheStreet) – “Stocks were advancing in midday action on Tuesday following a Federal Reserve official's call to launch an aggressive asset purchase program. …The light summer volume rally also got a lift from bond-buying chatter in Europe and easing concerns about the Chinese economy.”  Full story at…

The Fed Governors are not all in agreement so the fact that one wants more stimulus is probably not new.

MARKET                                                                                           
Tuesday the S&P 500 finished UP about 1/2% to 1401.  VIX was up 0.2% to 15.99.

This has been a nice rally.  The S&P 500 is up about 10% since the 1278 June low.  That’s pretty good considering most were calling for Armageddon not long ago.  The recent highs are in the 1420 area.  The high off the bear-market bottom is around 1560 so it is possible for the market to continue up past the 1420 area.  That’s the question now – how much longer will the rally last?  Market internals may give some clue.

I didn’t get back into the market on 4 June because I felt the volume and market internals were marginally positive and not strong enough to call a buy.  I got back in later to outperform the S&P 500 by ½-%.  (Ho hum…it would have been an 8-10% outperformance if I had called it better).  The point I want to make here is that since the internals weren’t as good as in prior corrections, we may not see as much of a gain as we did in 2010-11 (31%) or 2011-12 (29%) before this market turns around.

NTSM
The NTSM analysis was again BUY at the close on Tuesday.

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the BUY signal, 6 July, I moved back into the market on 9 July (after the weekend) at S&P 500 1352.  I now have a 50% stock allocation overall.  For my age, that is what most advisors recommend, however, I am normally much more aggressive.  I am underweight my usual aggressive allocation for stocks because there’s a lot of risk now.  So far this year NTSM is beating the S&P 500 by a whopping ½% on one trade.