Monday, September 11, 2023

Momentum Trading DOW Stocks & ETFs … Stock Market Analysis ...

 
A day to remember the fallen, 22 years ago.
 
“Trade what you see; not what you think.” – The Old Fool, Richard McCranie, trader extraordinaire.
 
“I was talking to a doctor friend who works in a local hospital regarding the obesity crisis in America. She said that the Hospitals can’t counsel for obesity. I said, “Of course not, Fat Shaming!” She said no, the issue was that Hospitals are scored on patient surveys and they must get top reviews across the board or they get less money from the Government (Medicare I presume). Hospitals have found that patients give lower grades when they are counseled for obesity and smoking. Hence...no counseling for obesity and smoking. Once again, the Government, though well intentioned, has screwed up an important service.” – Meade Stith, NTSM Blog.
 
STOCK MARKETS IN VULNERABLE POSITION (Heritage Capital, Friday)
“I will speculate and say that the stock market is more likely to close below the August lows at this point, probably later this month...A good number of indicators are lining up and positioning themselves for a bottom in a few weeks or so. That remains my operating thesis, a low in late September to early October followed by a rip-roaring rally into 2024 that is led by tech, AI and other risk on assets. I urge you not to get caught up the narratives being spun by pundits in the media.” – Paul Schatz, President Heritage Capital . Commentary at...
https://investfortomorrow.com/blog/stock-market-in-a-vulnerable-position/
 
ECONOMIC DATA POINTS DIVERGE (Real Investment advice)

“Given the wide range of other confirming indicators previously discussed, betting on the “avoidance” of a recession, particularly given such tight financial conditions, seems risky...” Commentary at...
https://realinvestmentadvice.com/economic-data-points-diverge/
 
MARKET REPORT / ANALYSIS
-Monday the S&P 500 rose about 0.7% to 4487.
-VIX dipped about 0.3% to 13.80.
-The yield on the 10-year Treasury rose to 4.290%.
 
PULLBACK DATA:
-Drop from Top: 7.5%. 25.4% max (on a closing basis).
-Trading Days since Top: 423-days.
The S&P 500 is 6.9% ABOVE its 200-dMA and 0.2% ABOVE its 50-dMA.
*I won’t call the correction over until the S&P 500 makes a new-high; however, evidence suggests the bottom was in the 3600 area and we called a buy on 4 October 2022.
 
MY TRADING POSITIONS:
XLK – Technology ETF (holding since the October lows).
SPY – I bought a large position in the S&P 500 Friday, 8/14, in my 401k (it has limited choices).
XLY - Consumer Discretionary ETF. (Holding since the October lows - I bought more XLY Monday, 8/21.)
XLE – Added Tuesday, 8/22.
SSO – 2x S&P 500 ETF. Added 8/24.
CSCO – added 9/5.
 
TODAY’S COMMENT:
I think the markets go up from here. I worry though, because Paul Schatz (commentary above) is calling for a low in late September or October.  It would be logical for markets to retrace 50% of the gains since last October.  So, a bottom in September or October is always possible. There are signs (and calls from a lot of Pros, Tom McClellan, Tom Lee, and even Paul Schatz) that a strong turn higher is likely soon.
 
Today, there was a new bear-sign, because of a Hindenburg Omen.  Both New-highs and New-lows are somewhat elevated along with a few other criteria. I am not too concerned about this signal. Currently, new-lows are a hold-over from the recent market weakness.  New-highs are improving and that’s a good sign. If the Omens persist, I’ll start to worry.  Not much happened when this signal last occurred in early August. Most indicators remain bullish.
 
The daily spread of 20 Indicators (Bulls minus Bears) improved from -3 to +1 (a positive number is bullish; negatives are bearish); the 10-day smoothed sum that smooths the daily fluctuations improved from +30 to +38. (The trend direction is more important than the actual number for the 10-day value.) These numbers sometimes change after I post the blog based on data that comes in late. Most of these 20 indicators are short-term so they tend to bounce around a lot.
 
LONG-TERM INDICATOR: The Long Term NTSM indicator remains HOLD: PRICE is Bullish; SENTIMENT, VIX & VOLUME are neutral.
 
(The important BUY in this indicator was on 21 October, 7-days after the bottom. For my NTSM overall signal, I suggested that a short-term buying opportunity occurred on 27 September (based on improved market internals on the retest), although without market follow-thru, I was unwilling to call a buy; however, I did close shorts and increased stock holdings. I issued a Buy-Signal on 4 October, 6-days before the final bottom, based on stronger market action that confirmed the market internals signal. The NTSM sell-signal was issued 21 December, 9 sessions before the high of this recent bear market, based on the bearish “Friday Rundown” of indicators.)
 
Bottom line: I remain Bullish.
 
ETF - MOMENTUM ANALYSIS:
TODAY’S RANKING OF 15 ETFs (Ranked Daily)
ETF ranking follows:
 

The top ranked ETF receives 100%. The rest are then ranked based on their momentum relative to the leading ETF.
*For additional background on the ETF ranking system see NTSM Page at…
http://navigatethestockmarket.blogspot.com/p/exchange-traded-funds-etf-ranking.html

DOW STOCKS - TODAY’S MOMENTUM RANKING OF THE DOW 30 STOCKS (Ranked Daily)
DOW 30 momentum ranking follows:
 

The top ranked Stock receives 100%. The rest are then ranked based on their momentum relative to the leading Stock.
For more details, see NTSM Page at…
https://navigatethestockmarket.blogspot.com/p/a-system-for-trading-dow-30-stocks-my_8.html

MONDAY MARKET INTERNALS (NYSE DATA)
My basket of Market Internals remained HOLD.
(My basket of Market Internals is a decent trend-following analysis of current market action, but should not be used alone for short term trading. They are most useful when they diverge from the Index.) 
 
...My current invested position is about 75% stocks, including stock mutual funds and ETFs. I’m usually about 50% invested in stocks. I’m “over invested” now expecting new, all-time highs this year. That burns all the cash.  I have about 25% of the portfolio in bonds.
 
I trade about 15-20% of the total portfolio using the momentum-based analysis I provide here. When I see a definitive bottom, I add a lot more stocks to the portfolio using an S&P 500 ETF as I did back in October.