Thursday, July 26, 2012

Durable Goods Orders – Down (?)


DURABLE GOODS ORDERS
BLOOMBERG - Orders Signal Slowdown in U.S. Business Spending: Economy
“A slump in June orders for equipment such as computers and machinery signals U.S. business investment will probably cool in the second half of the year and contribute less to the economic expansion…Bookings for non-defense capital goods excluding aircraft, a proxy for future corporate spending, dropped 1.4 percent, the third decrease in the past four months, according to Commerce Department data issued today in Washington.”

The following chart (from the Federal Reserve) shows an increase in orders, but that’s only if airplane orders are included.



MARKET                                                                                           
Thursday the S&P 500 finished up 1.7% to 1360. The VIX fell over 9% to 17.5.

I have been suggesting that the market would move up, so it is always interesting when there is a significant move up on news.  This time, the news was that the ECB will begin another round of bond buying that will reduce borrowing costs for troubled Spain and Italy.  Technically though, the market internals and indicators that I track had already signaled that the market would probably move up.  This always makes me ponder whether the pros buy on inside information.  Perhaps, it’s simply that the pros can better interpret the impact of news on the market. 

That’s why I have chosen to focus on tracking the market (thru NTSM analysis) rather than the news or the economy.  Hopefully, the market itself will continue to give us clues about future direction. It’s never perfectly clear, and I’ll rarely make a call at the exact top or bottom, but with skill and a little luck, I usually can avoid trouble.

At this point, I think the S&P 500 can move up another 5% or so.  If it does, we’ll see where it goes after that.  Remember, the NTSM analysis doesn’t predict the future, so 5% is mostly guesswork.

To add a little to yesterday’s blog, I think the market is moving up because the rest of the world is buying US stocks.  We look like the best dog in the pack (a rather ragged pack I might add).  I don’t think that will last.  My guess is that earnings of US companies will fall and stock prices will eventually follow, but I don't know when. 

NTSM
The NTSM analysis was BUY at the close on Thursday. 

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the BUY signal, 6 July, I moved back into the market on 9 July (after the weekend) at S&P 500 1352.  I now have a 50% stock allocation overall.  I am underweight my usual aggressive allocation for stock because there’s a lot of risk now.