Saturday, July 7, 2012

June Jobs Report Weak


Busy day for me and I am just posting this Friday night around midnight, so I’ll make this short.

JUNE JOBS REPORT: Hiring weak, unemployment unchanged
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) – “Hiring was lukewarm last month, with employers adding jobs but not enough to bring the unemployment rate down.
The economy added 80,000 jobs in June, the Labor Department reported Friday, barely an improvement from the 77,000 jobs added in May. The unemployment rate remained at 8.2%.”  Full story at…
http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/05/news/economy/jobs-report-unemployment/index.htm

MARKET                                                                                           
Friday, the S&P 500 was down almost 1% to 1355.  The VIX fell 2% to 17.10.  Those Options Boys can’t make up their minds.  VIX is falling so relax, everything will be OK, or so says the VIX.

NTSM
The NTSM analysis switched to BUY Friday, based on Friday's closing data. 

Although the volume was to the negative side, the trend has generally been up and the NTSM volume indicator switched to buy.  The price indicator has been signaling buy for a while since the up moves have been larger than the down moves.  The charts show we are in an up-trend; for how long?  That’s the $64 question.  VIX is not falling steeply enough to generate a buy for the NTSM “best” indicator.

MY INVESTED POSITION
I remain out of the market…

Given the bad PMI numbers, on both the Manufacturing and the Service sector, I am not in a rush to get back in the market.  I’ll need to ponder the NTSM numbers some more. At this point I am inclined to see what happens Monday.

I’ll post before Monday 1130 AM if I decide to change my invested position.  If I get back in, it will only be 50% stocks rather than my usual “all-the-way” in or out position.