Monday, July 23, 2012

Rally Over? US Economic Activity Slowing


RALLY OVER
The bear market rally has ended (Elder & Lovvorn)
“Our indicators rallied to much lower tops, and when the market turned down on Friday, daily bearish divergences triggered. The bear market is back, and it is likely to challenge the June lows.”  Full story at…
 
That’s possible and we’ll know soon since the S&P 500 is now sitting on its lower trend line.  A drop of more than 2-3% would be the signal that it really is over.

Here’s a chart from Hussman Funds from this week’s Market Commentary.  It certainly doesn’t look encouraging.  Regular readers know John Hussman, PhD, has been negative on the market for some time.


Chart from Hussman Funds at…
http://www.hussmanfunds.com/wmc/wmc120723.htm

MARKET                                                                                           
Monday the S&P 500 finished down almost 1% to 1351.  The VIX was up 14% to 18.62 so the options boys got concerned and bought a lot of puts (options that make money when the market goes down).

The S&P 500 closed on its lower trend line, but once again I was running errands all day and missed a chance to buy a long trading position.  Since I still think the market goes up from here (for a while at least), I’d like to put some trading money to work on a short-term bet that the market will go up.  I am only writing about my trading portfolio here and that is less than 10% of my stock portfolio.  I don’t gamble (trade) with my entire portfolio.  Why risk your future?  The “My Invested Position” paragraph below covers my total portfolio.  If I do take a trading position, I’ll set a tight stop so that if the market goes down, I’ll get out quickly.

NTSM
The NTSM analysis switched to HOLD at the close on Monday.  VIX switched to neutral on today’s big run-up.  A few more days like today and the NTSM system will switch back to sell.

It is a weakness of the NTSM system that quick turnarounds may not be called correctly.  So we’ll see.

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the BUY signal, 6 July, I moved back into the market on 9 July (after the weekend) at S&P 500 1352.  I now have a 50% stock allocation overall.  I am underweight my usual aggressive allocation for stock because there’s a lot of risk now.