Thursday, July 5, 2012

Employment and the ISM Service Sector Numbers


“Private-sector employment increased by 176,000 from May to June on a seasonally adjusted basis, according to the latest ADP National Employment Report released today. The ADP National Employment Report, created by Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP), in partnership with Macroeconomic Advisers, LLC, is derived from actual payroll data and measures the change in total nonfarm private employment each month….Today‟s estimate, if reinforced by a comparable reading on employment from the Bureau of Labor Statistics tomorrow, likely will ease concerns that the economy is heading into a downturn.”

ISM NUMBERS
US service sector slows to 2-1/2-yr low in June-ISM (Reuters) – “The pace of growth in the U.S. services sector slowed in June to its lowest level since January 2010 as new orders waned, though employment improved, an industry report showed on Thursday…The Institute for Supply Management said its services index fell to 52.1 from 53.7 in May, shy of economists' forecasts for 53.0, according to a Reuters survey. A reading above 50 indicates expansion in the sector.”  Full story…

DISCUSSION BOARDS: Posted by drtkw…
“The last three up trends…lasted (18 months, 12 months, 6 months). The banksters are losing control. Maybe this "up trend" is already over before it began. Lol!”

Perhaps there is some truth there, but I am not making a prediction.  I could easily get a buy signal any day.
 
As far as my analysis, the NTSM model remains neutral, but leaning towards the buy side.  Since my system is based on closing numbers, even if I do get a buy signal tomorrow, I couldn’t act on it till Monday.  Monday may be interesting since the pros all will be back to work.

It is curious that the ISM Purchasing manager’s Index showed contraction on Monday, but the Commerce Department reported factory orders rising on Tuesday.  I can’t explain that.

MARKET
Thursday, the S&P 500 was down 1/2% to 1368.  The VIX rose 5%.  Do the options boys know something we don’t? 

NTSM
The NTSM analysis is HOLD again Thursday.

MY INVESTED POSITION
I remain out of the market…
I reduced my stock holdings to 30% (0% in stock in the 401k) at S&P 1358 after the SELL signal on 9 May 2012. (See the page “How to Use the NTSM System” – the link is on the right side of this page).  I cut my stock position to 15% on 17 May in order to maintain a 10% gain in a trading/longer-term position I had in the QQQ.