Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Morgan Stanley Cyclical Index Down on Recession Fears


The Morgan Stanley Cyclical index was down 3.6% today (4x the drop in the S&P 500) so it looks like investors got concerned about recession today.  The MS Cyclical Index had been improving for the last 2-weeks or so.  Today it gave up all of those gains.  I watch this because the cyclical stocks are more sensitive to recession concerns since those stocks would be hurt more in a recession.

MARKET                                                                                           
Tuesday started well, but gains didn’t hold. The S&P 500 was down 0.8% to 1341.  The VIX rose 4% to 17.72.  That’s a 9% rise in two days.  Again, the rise in VIX is not a good sign. 

The NTSM model has turned around quickly on occasion from buy, to sell, to buy, so I am a little concerned the NTSM system may signal a sell soon.  While I don’t like frequent moves, because I don’t want to trade the 401k, there is little choice if “the market” changes its mind quickly.  Also, no system is perfect.  So far it’s only a concern. As I noted yesterday, the trend is still up.  Volume has been declining over the past few days as the market has been going down so that is a relatively good sign too.

NTSM
The NTSM analysis is BUY again today, Tuesday. 

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the BUY signal Friday, 6 July, I moved back into the market on 9 July and I now have a 50% stock allocation.  I am only 50% invested now because this looks like a high risk market.