Monday, July 16, 2012

Retail Sales Decline 3rd Month in a Row – NTSM Remains BUY.


NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Retail sales declined for the third month in a row, as consumers grow increasingly concerned over the weakening economic situation in the United States and Europe…Overall retail sales in June fell 0.5% in the month, according to a Commerce Department report on Monday. The decline came as many were expecting growth, with economists surveyed by Briefing.com expecting growth of 0.2%.

That’s pretty bad news in my opinion, but I am notoriously bad at predicting the stock market reaction to what I perceive as bad economic numbers. 

Really, that’s what we have now – a growing list of bad economic data (just check out some previous NTSM blogs), but the NTSM indicators, as well as other indicators I track, are very positive.  As a result, I am positive on the stock market in the short term.  (The NTSM system only tracks the stock market; there is no "economic" indicator.)

MARKET                                                                                           
Monday the S&P 500 finished down 1/4% to 1354.  The VIX rose 2% to 17.11. 

NTSM
The NTSM analysis is BUY Monday at the close.  

NTSM has been BUY 5 of the last 7-days and it is BUY today.  If the S&P drops to the lower trend line (now at 1340) I’ll probably go 2x-long using a Rydex leveraged fund (or a 2xETF such as QLD) for a trade up to the higher trend line.  If not, I won’t bother. 

I am not trading much these days because my short–term trading last year only made 5%.  I shouldn’t be too upset since some of those trades were to hedge long positions; but still, the record keeping is a pain in the butt.  I can’t imagine doing taxes for a day-trader.  I guess the way to avoid that is to confine trading to a IRA account. 

MY INVESTED POSITION
Based on the BUY signal Friday, 6 July, I moved back into the market on 9 July and I now have a 50% stock allocation.  I am underweight my usual allocation for stock because there’s a lot of risk now.